Wednesday, April 1, 2009

First things first...The Grocery Game

I'm busy. I work full-time, volunteer, entertain, clean my own apartment and teach a class at my church. As a result, I don't have time to drive around town looking for bargains.

Several years ago, a friend introduced me to thegrocerygame.com.
The Grocery Game pairs up each week's grocery store sales with all existing and unexpired coupons. The result is a list of rock-bottom prices...and the beginning of my grocery list. $5 each month buys a subscription for the list to one grocery store chain. You can get more lists and find more bargains, but for my money, I'm driving to Ralph's down the street and calling it quits. The last time I shopped, I bought $210.50 of groceries and saved $68.82. In my book, that was a failure! I usually try for a 1:1 ratio of spending to savings. In other words, I try to spend $125 and save $125. It isn't hard, it isn't rocket science, and it is definitely worth it!

The list is generally current from Saturday night until Tuesday night. You'll need the coupons from the Sunday paper. Don't clip the coupons. Leave the circular intact and mark the date on the front with a Sharpie.

On Saturday, I log on, get the Ralph's list, and begin my menu planning based upon what meats and vegetables are cheap. This is how chef's cook! They buy what is in season and on sale. They call it a "special." I call it smart!

The last time we shopped, I bought a four pound beef roast for $6.78. That pot roast was served for four dinners. Five pounds of potatoes were .97/bag. My husband and I ate delicious pot roast and mashed potatoes for less than $2/meal.

I hope that you'll give it a try. Cheap cooking begins by slashing the prices of what you are buying. You'll still save money if you buy full-priced groceries as opposed to eating out, but we aren't looking for pennies of savings, we are looking for dollars!

No comments:

Post a Comment